Thursday, July 14, 2011

Growing Older

Growing old the first losses you will encounter is hearing, teeth
and a sense of decency. The first two can be bought back, decency can only
be achieved by deception. I always thought decency was tied some how to
keeping your pants on when they should be on. My wife thinks I should
practice being more modest and decent. I find modesty is harder to
accomplish than playing the guitar. I have come to realized that modesty is
not for people who excel in most of their endeavors. Show me a person who is
modest and I'll show you someone who has not risen very far above the
expectations of their spouse or their family. My ego which might appear
flawed at times to others, it just won't let me get any more "modester" than
I am right now. When you come from a family who makes the TV program "Cops"
at least once a year, then it's hard to not toot your horn, for just being
civil. Being civil in the South usually means you don't own a pistol to
carry in your back pocket. I can usually hunker down and come up with some
compassion and forgiveness for someone, unless they have bad-mouthed my
Daylilies, that's not always pardonable. I will continue to strive for some
modesty, even if I have to lie about having more of it than I actually do.
In my way of thinking, when you refuse to look at someone's seedling
pictures, you are trodding on unforgiveness grounds. When I was in school
Camel cigarettes and girls was my favorite subject, I had more success with
the first. Since most of the good ones seemed to have me in mind, Most
Northerners may not know this, but young Southerners go to Wakes to check
out the chicks, just a habit I sure find hard to break even at 77. I sure
hope this doesn't sound like a bunch of whining, can't stand whiners.
...............tom

No comments:

Post a Comment